Cosmetic dentistry is a term that involves all procedures, practices, and specialties that tend to improve the appearance of teeth, gums, and the bite. It generally focuses on making improvements to dental aesthetics, color, position, shape, and size of the teeth. There are several types of the cosmetic dental procedures available. These procedures include:
- Teeth Whitening- Teeth can be bleached with in-office products in a dentist’s office. The use of a mold and gels can be locally used to bleach one’s teeth at home under the supervision of the dentist. Whitening products such as whitening toothpastes, rinses and white strips are available in retail stores and convenient for whitening of teeth.
- Dental Veneers-They are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colour porcelain or resin that cover the surface of the teeth. Firstly, about a half millimetre of the enamel is removed. Then the thin shells are cemented to the tooth’s This procedure helps to change teeth color, shape, size or even length. This cosmetic dentistry procedure helps maintain strong teeth and healthy gums.
- Dental bonding- In this procedure, tooth-colour, putty-like resin is incorporated into the tooth surface and hardened by ultraviolet rays or laser beam. The dentists then shapes and trims it to the required shape and size. This cosmetic dentistry procedure can mend cracked, chipped and decayed teeth.
- Dental Crown- The crown fits over or may even replace the decayed or damaged tooth. The crown helps in the restoration of tooth size, shape, and even strength. Crowns can also be used cosmetically to cover critically discoloured teeth. Materials used to make the crown could be metal, porcelain or
- Inlays and Onlays- These are made from gold, porcelain, or composite materials that could fill up a decayed or broken tooth. The dental fillings are molded. Inlays and onlays are created in dental laboratories. The filling is termed as an inlay when the material is placed into the center of a tooth. If the fillings are bonded to more than one point of the tooth they are known as onlays. Inlays and onlays can be used alternatively with crowns. This cosmetic dental procedure preserves healthy tee
- Dental Implants- This cosmetic dentistry procedure involves replacing tooth roots inserted into the bone socket of a missing tooth. When the jawbone heals, it grows along the implanted titanium implant. The implant provides a foundation for the replacement tooth. This ensures strong teeth and healthy gums.
- Dental Braces- Dental braces are often used to straighten misaligned teeth. This is achieved as the braces apply continuous pressure to the teeth. This moves the teeth slowly in a specific direction.
Cosmetic dentistry has advanced benefits for the teeth. They protect teeth against decay, infection, and damage. The procedures also protect the teeth against plaque bacteria.